Monday, April 29, 2013

British Education system

I took my neurobiology exam today (worth 75% of my grade!). So happy to be done with it. The entire process was actually pretty unorganized. I'm used to taking finals in the normal classroom with the professor there. Here, they separate all the classes into different exam rooms, which made it so much more complicated. I found my exam room and desk and once I started, I realized I was missing a whole section of my answer sheet. The invigilator didn't speak very good English and it took me like five minutes to get him to understand I was missing a piece of the exam. Finally, I got it and at the same time all this was happening, there was a group of guys who thought they were taking one exam and then when they showed up, were told they were taking a completely different portion of the exam. Throughout the entire two and a half hours, the people running the exams kept coming in and out of the room. I guess its just such a different process than what I'm used to! The exam went pretty well, I'm just glad its done!

I think I've come to the conclusion that I like the American education system so much better. At least at Southwestern, every single one of my professors I've ever had is so passionate and truly wants to help their students learn. They all know me personally and are willing to spend extra time with me outside of class. Here, I feel like I didn't learn near as much because I only had class once a week and all the professor did was give a brief background on the subject. Everything else they would tell you what to read and they expect you to learn everything else on your own. I definitely feel like everything I've learned here was self-taught. I'm sure British students are used to learning everything on their own, but it was hard when you're used to the American system to adjust. Not only do you have to learn everything yourself, you don't have much time to figure it out. All my classes only had two grades. Two of my classes had 2 exams (each worth 50%), one class had an essay and an exam (75%), and one class coursework and an exam (worth 75%), so you better hope you understand it the first time! And other than my drama professor with a smaller seminar, none of my professor even have any idea I exist. I have loved every minute in London and have learned so much about the world and myself. I would never give up this experience for anything, but it definitely makes me appreciate SU and how much I love it there!

Anyway, I went to Borough Market after my exam this afternoon as a reward :-) delicious lunch! We leave for Italy in 1 day and 14 hours!! I have one more exam on May 24 (Abnormal Psychology). Then Ireland in 26 days and 1 hour! And home in 39 days and 16 hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment