Saturday, May 11, 2013

National Portrait Gallery

Today I went off on my own to the National Portrait Gallery. Its connected to the National Gallery, so I went by Trafalgar Square on my way. There was some cool basketball event going in the square! When you first come into the National Portrait Gallery, you have to go through the bookstore first. I finally got myself a Henry VIII mug. It listed all his wives and everything he did and then says "became so fat he had to be winched into bed." Hahahaha it was too good. I continued on into the gallery and headed straight for Kate Middleton's first official portrait on the ground floor. It was STUNNING. She looks so unbelievably beautiful in it. Its cool that I even got to see it since its only on display there for a few months! Next, I headed upstairs to the Tudor area. Now I really started freaking out a little bit. I got to see all these portraits I have been seeing for years in pictures. It was so amazing to be seeing the real thing. I got to see portraits of Henry VIII, Katherine of Aragon, THE Anne Boleyn portrait, Katherine Parr, Mary Tudor, Elizabeth I, Sir Robert Dudley, Mary Queen of Scots... it took a lot of self control. We weren't technically allowed to take pictures but...... I may or may not have snuck like 20. After the Tudors, I got to see Shakespeare, William Pitt, Jane Austen, Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Charles Darwin, Princess Diana, Margaret Thatcher, Winston Churchill, pretty much any king or queen or anyone of any importance to Britain had a portrait there. SO COOL.

After I left the gallery, I walked to Leicester Square around the corner and found a Chipotle! Very successful day :-) I fly back home exactly 4 weeks from today... bittersweet :/

No comments:

Post a Comment