Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Life is rough...

Because I was in class only one day this week :-) On Monday, I had 3 classes. But Tuesday we just went to the library as a class and looked at some stuff from the archive. And then today my class is going on a visit. Life is tough here in London. And then we have all of next week off for "reading week," which is basically just an entire week off to catch up. Instead of actually staying here and doing work, we're going to Paris! We leave on Sunday and get back next Friday. We'll have 3 full days in Paris and then the 4th day we're going to Versailles for the day. I will FINALLY get to see the Paris Opera house (aka Phantom).

Monday night, Sophie and I went to see Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre. It was so good, I really loved it! I had never seen it before, but I actually recognized a few of the songs (I think from Glee which is kind of embarrassing to admit...). I didn't cry, which means it isn't quite up to the same level as Phantom or Les Mis, but I still really really enjoyed it!

Yesterday, we went to Trafalgar Square, which is the central point of London. Nelson's column is there with lots of fountains and weird lion statues (they're actually sitting like dogs, but have lion bodies). The National Gallery is in the square, so we went there. They had a bunch of really famous paintings, like some van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Leonardo da Vinci, Picasso. They were really beautiful and the building itself was a masterpiece. Afterwards, we went to go find the Texas Embassy and to my horror, IT WAS CLOSED. And not just temporarily. All the signs were gone, the windows pulled shut. I literally almost just folded up in the fetal position in the middle of the street and died right there. I had that meal planned for days. I managed to make it to a Garfunkels across the street. Then we came back and at night, we went to the New Globe (pub on the corner of campus) for a karaoke night.



I can't believe I'm already halfway through with classes! Classes end on March 29 and then "spring break" is the entire month of April. May is a full month for exams and I will only have 2. So, for four classes, I only have 5 essays and two exams for the entire semester. Which is actually kind of scary if you think about how much each of those will individually matter. But Paris in a few days, I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love the way Europeans do school?! it is terrifying to think of everything coming down to one grade, but hopefully you're keeping up. Enjoy your week in France. Watch your bag and money all of the time and don't think that just because you're in a hostel with people you think you can trust that it will be okay. Lock everything of value or keep it on your body. And, most importantly of all, have a GREAT time!

    ReplyDelete