Saturday, February 9, 2013

"On Site Analysis" of the British Museum

But seriously. I had to go back to the British Museum for class. What a shame. For my architecture class, I'm writing an essay on the architecture of the museum. I am very knowledgable about the history of the museum now, which is actually very very interesting! It has 8 million objects in it now and over 6 million people visit every year. If you care about the architecture/theme of the building I'll send you my lovely essay when it actually gets written. After observing the building for a bit, we went inside and spent another 3 hours looking at a completely different area than I had been in before. You could literally spend days in there. We saw the Egyptian sculpture, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, and other sections I can't remember. We went into the Pantheon Collection, which was pretty cool! Then, we went to the area with the Egyptian mummies, which was SO COOL. It was kind of creepy... but I loved it. They had the CAT scans for most of the mummies, so you could tell which position they were in and if they died from trauma. Several of the mummies were young people, like in their 20s. There was one elderly lady that had been unwrapped. It was crazy how well her body was preserved. All her skin was still there, you could even see her hair and nails! Her face was all intact, and she was thousands of years old! I also learned that they mummified animals. There were cats and even baby crocodiles...


We ate at the gallery cafe and I got some mac and cheese, which was not mac and cheese, but it was still good. I also got some ice cream :-) Their ice cream is delicious here. In about an hour, a rugby game will be on, so Laura and I are meeting some British guys at a nearby pub who will explain rugby to us. It looks super intense, but we have no idea whats going on. Right now, the big Six Nations rugby tournament is going on, so as they say here, it should be a cracker!

No comments:

Post a Comment