Sunday, January 13, 2013

British Museum

Yesterday Kelsey and I went to the British Museum! It was beautiful and it was giant! They have rooms filled with stuff from almost any place you can think of and from any time period. They had some hand-axes that were over a million years old! It was like a tour of the world in one museum. After a while, all the statues and pottery and everything kind of started to look the same because there was just SO MUCH of everything.


After that, I met some people from the Christian Union of Queen Mary to see the Les Mis movie. The movie theater here (or cinema as they call it) was quite an interesting experience. First of all, the movies come out here several months after they come out in America. They were still showing Lincoln and Wreck it Ralph commercials (they've been out in America now for several months!). The movies (films as they call them) are only in the cinemas for a week or two. Everyone showed up late and it wasn't a big deal, we just missed some of the commercials. Bailey (my flatmate that goes to Baylor) and I were like we need to go, theres going to be no seats left! And they were like no its fine. I guess it didn't matter that it was a Saturday night and the movie had just come out... Weird! Anyway, the movie was of course really good :-) Afterwards, we went to a pub nearby, which was a little weird being with a Christian group, but thats just how the culture is. EVERYONE goes to pubs, thats just how you socialize and get to know people. The people I met from the group were all super nice and told me some churches in the area I should try out.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool, do you have a picture of the ax that is a million years old? I didn't know there were artifacts that old!

    So glad you got connected to the Christian union, maybe you can just tag along with them to church some to experience it there.

    Great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to go to church with them and am planning on doing that! I do have a picture of the ax, its up on Facebook I believe

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome about the British Museum! I've heard it's huge and that you can go back several times before seeing everything! That makes sense about everything starting to look the same though...there's only so many statue poses! I heard right now the British Museum is arguing with Rome I think? Because supposedly they have statues and stuff from the Colliseum on exhibit that belong to Rome and they won't return it...or something like that. You should go see that while you can because apparently since they're fighting about it, they might have to send it back to where it came from soon! That's weird about "films" and the "cinema..." here you definitely couldn't get a seat on Saturday night for a new movie if you're late!! Also, I didn't know there was a Baylor girl there - what is her last name? That's really cool! And I'm so glad you've found a group of Christian friends - that will be nice to have, even if you don't hang out with them all of the time. That's funny that y'all went to a pub together! Just awesome that that's what everyone does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it totally is just the culture around socializing! The Baylor girl's name is Bailey Green. I'm friends with her on Facebook now! I wouldn't be surprised if the British Museum is having to fight for their stuff... they literally have SO much of everyone else's stuff. Haha its kind of hilarious!

      Delete