Thursday, January 17, 2013

Update!

Hi all :-)
Its been a busy couple of days! Yesterday, I went on a field trip for my Architecture class to the Royal Courts of Justice. The building was BEAUTIFUL!! It was dreadfully cold though and we had to stand outside and take notes for like an hour. Uggg I thought my hands and toes were gonna fall off! But the building and the courts really were amazing.

Today, Angela (American from the flat across the hall) and I went to the Victoria and Albert museum. I really liked it! It was pretty different from the British museum. They had designs and clothes from several different centuries, which was pretty cool. Andja, from SU, would have LOVED it. I had to go see the Portrait Gallery for my Performance in History class, so we made sure to do that. Before my next class on Tuesday, I have to memorize a few lines and be able to pose like some of the statues from the 18th century. When I am ever going to need to know how to do that as a PA?! Whatever, its kind of cool. The V&A had a special exhibition called Hollywood Costumes, which looked SO cool. They have designs and costumes from over 100 major films. Like Titanic, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, Harry Potter, Dreamgirls, Wizard of Oz, pretty much anything you can think of. Unfortunately, we decided sleeping in would be a good idea, so they were sold out for the day. We'll be going back next week! Instead, we explored the collection on Britain from 1500-1760, so of course I loved it. They had stuff from Henry VIII's reign and the Elizabethan era. So cool! Kaitlyn, you would have died. You HAVE to come see it when you get here. The medieval Britain exhibit was pretty amazing too!

Afterwards, I came back and went to the Christian Union meeting, which was VERY similar to Phi Lamb chapter! We started out with worship... then some people talked kind of like a devo, and then we went over the events happening next week and prayed over them. Kind of made me feel a little bit at home! Until one of the guys made a reference to being a lad and everyone laughed and us Americans just sat there not having any idea what was going on. At the end of the meeting a few of them approached and immediately knew we were Americans. We asked what a lad was and they said to them its like a jock or a guy that goes to pubs all the time. They also called a grilled cheese a "toastie." They can all tell we're Americans right away, I'm not sure whats so obvious about the way we dress or look. I haven't quite figured that out yet but they always know. Everyone was really nice and I definitely plan on going back!

Later tonight, I met up with some of my friends from my Arcadia program and went to the pub. We've all been so busy, it's been a while since we'd been able to hang out. It was a fun night catching up with all of them! Tomorrow there's supposed to be a "huge" snowstorm (meaning like 2-4 inches, kind of pathetic), but apparently everything shuts down, so we might be kind of stuck on campus tomorrow. Which is probably good, I'm not completely caught up on all my reading. We're planning on going to Edinburgh, Scotland a week from tomorrow for the weekend, so I'm really excited about that!

3 comments:

  1. Great update, that museum sounds great! Pretty funny about the lad comment. Maybe you are smiling or more friendly and are making eye contact, which is not normal for British? Not that they are not friendly, just not as open about it and more private... just a thought. I always wondered when I was in Europe too, but then the Americans did always have brighter clothes on. Who knows. Glad you getting to do so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I think part of it is the way we dress... they definitely don't make eye contact and smile like we do. I really have no idea. I think we also have more of an American presence in the room if that makes sense.

      Delete
  2. Your straight teeth are a dead give-away. And, Americans sometimes wear jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes, which I don't think people there do as much.

    The museum sounds amazing, and the photos are awesome. Enjoy the Texas-style Blizzard, and don't forget to have that ice cream brownie dessert at the Elephant House Cafe in Edinburgh next weekend!

    ReplyDelete