Friday, January 25, 2013

Day Full of Museums!

Its been a good, busy week! I'm getting more and more used to life here... its funny I get off the Tube at Mile End Station and its starting to feel a little bit like home. People asked me for help on the Tube the other day and I totally knew what I was talking about! Yesterday, Angela and I went back to the Victoria and Albert Museum to get tickets to see the Hollywood Costume exhibit. We got there right when they opened and they were already almost sold out of tickets for the day. We got tickets for 4:15, so we had about 6 hours to kill. Of course, not a problem in London! Theres a million things to see around the V&A, so we spent some time there. Theres a theatre exhibit that is really cool! They had original costumes, playbills, scripts, etc from past plays, musicals, and concerts. My favorite was of course an original design of one of the Phantom's costumes :-)

After we had lunch, we still had several more hours to kill, so we went to the Science Museum right around the corner. It was really cool! We started with the section on space, where we saw a spacesuit from the first Brit in space and a rock from the Moon. Then, we went up to the Flight exhibit, which was kind of cool. It would've been cooler if I knew what any of it was (Daddy, you would've loved it!). Next, we went up to the Medicine exhibits (there were 2 floors full of Medicine History!). Yes, I'm kind of a nerd, but it was amazing! It showed the progression of medicine through medieval times up until now.

When 4:15 finally rolled around, we went back to the V&A to see the Hollywood Costume exhibit. It was unbelievable!! Any movie you can think of, they had a costume from it. Bourne Legacy, Oceans 11, Braveheart, Gladiator, Elizabeth I, Shakespeare in Love, Marie Antoinette, Harry Potter, Wizard of Oz, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Mamma Mia, Star Wars, Spiderman, Superman, James Bond, Pirates, Addams Family, Twilight, Marilyn Monroe, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Titanic, Terminator, Black Swan, Indiana Jones, and so many more I can't even remember right now! Definitely worth the all day wait.

Last night, we went to the New Globe, which is a pub right on the edge of campus. On Thursdays, they push all the tables back and turn it into more of a bar with DJs and dancing. You had to have a Queen Mary ID to get in, so it was really fun! This morning, I went to the gym. It was my first time on the treadmill here and at first I was like wow, I'm going really fast, this is great! And then I realized it was in kilometers... not miles... Duh. Whatever, I still ran 5K. Later tonight, our group of 5 is taking an overnight bus to Edinburgh, Scotland for the weekend! We will get there at about 7 am tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. Never thought I'd hear you being so excited about a bunch a museums! But, it sounds like a lot of fun. That's pretty funny about the kilometer thing. Just don't tell your coach you can go that far that fast or she'll expect you to do it in miles!

    Enjoy Scotland!

    ReplyDelete