Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First Day

I'm going off of about 3 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours... I'm exhausted! But the first day in London was a good one! It was a beautiful, sunny day (and still really cold)! My dad and I visited Hampton Court Palace, which was AMAZING. It was one of King Henry VIII's favorite palaces. I'm not sure how much y'all know about him, but he's the crazy one who had six wives (If you've ever seen The Other Boleyn Girl, its about King Henry VIII). All six of his wives lived at Hampton Court at one point. Jane Seymour, his third wife, had his only male heir and died at Hampton. Katherine Howard, his fifth wife (who was only a teenager when he was super old and fat!), was charged with treason while at Hampton and eventually beheaded at the Tower. Her ghost supposedly haunts a hallway where she ran screaming to try to plead with Henry for her life. Half of the palace was also rebuilt by a later king, so the Palace has several different time periods within it. There were 60 acres of gardens (OMGGG) and of course we were exhausted, so we only saw some of them.




Sorry if this whole post doesn't make much sense, I think I'll go to bed now :-) We're going to see the Queen Mary campus tomorrow and then Phantom of the Opera at night!

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Mere! Have a great time at Phantom, try not to sing louder than everyone on stage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to post but failing at it. I'm glad to see you are already having fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It finally worked. I'm loving reading about your daily adventures! Stay safe and have the time of your life!

      Delete
  3. I love the pictures! Hampton Court is supposed to be one of the best - I'm sure it was amazing! I miss you and wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete