Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Done with classes! Wait its only Wednesday.....

I am officially done with classes for this week. And its only Wednesday!!! My class today was Architecture in London, which seems REALLY cool. Its mostly Americans and the reason for that is because we go on FIVE FIELD TRIPS!! We basically get to explore different buildings in London and marvel at the architecture. Pretty excited about that class :-) I met a guy in that class that goes to Trinity! After I got over the initial "ohhhh Trinity... thats too bad..." (of course mostly in my head) he was pretty nice! (For those non-SU people reading... Southwestern and Trinity are NOT friends.)

Last night I finally got to spend some time with the people in my flat and some of the girls in the flat across the hall. It was actually about half Brits and half Americans. It turned out to be a really fun night! And not too different from America when we decided to go get fried chicken at 1 in the morning...

Thats about it for now! I have a lot of reading to do for my classes even though there aren't any assignments due. Like ever. Until the one exam or essay that counts for your entire grade. So I'm gonna get on that...

I've started making a list of all the phrases and words they say here (it really is like a foreign language sometimes!), so thought I'd share what I have with you so far. If you say some of these wrong, they really do make fun of you (like the pants/trousers thing)!


Mind the gap = Watch your step
Tube = Subway
Quid = Money (like I paid 5 quid)
Take away = To go
Chips = fries
Crisps = chips
Queue = Line (they often say queue up)
Toilets = Bathroom/ Restroom
Shopping centre = Mall
Film = Movie
Cinema = Theater
Football = Soccer (VERY IMPORTANT)
Uni work = Homework
On holiday = On vacation
Cheers = Thank you
Are you alright? = Do you need anything?
Lift = Elevator
Posh = Fancy
Pissed = Drunk
Mobile phone = Cell phone
Top up = Put more money on something/ Increase a plan
Ring them = Call them
Cotton floss = Cotton candy
GP’s = Doctor
A & E (Accident and Emergency) = Emergency Room
Pants = Underwear (you have to say trousers!)
Ground floor = first floor

4 comments:

  1. That is amazing that you are done so early in the week! That will give you lots of time to travel on the weekends - how awesome!!! Your architecture class sounds amazing - field trips are always the best :) That's awesome that you're meeting the people living by you! And I'm glad to hear that they eat like typical college students and eat as much as they want at any time, day or night. Fried chicken is always a good decision, especially at 1 a.m. :) Like popcorn! Good luck on the one assignment grade - that's kind of like my history class last semester (midterm, final, paper were the only grades) and it's great the whole year because you only have three times of high stress, hahaha!! I love the list you made! I'm going to start memorizing it now. I really do miss you so much, and it's only been a few weeks since we last saw each other! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe its only been a few weeks! It already feels like I've been here a long time! Miss you and love you!!!!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog on Southwestern Uni's page for international study! There were others' advertised but you're in London and it's the main study abroad program I want to do when I am able to. I really enjoy reading all about your experiences!

    -Baillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Baillie!!
      I'm so glad you found my blog then, thats perfect!! I've been super busy these past few weeks but I will get on it soon!

      Delete